Friday, July 31, 2020

A Few Great Preachers (my short list)



I have been privileged and blessed to hear some great preachers. Here is a list and a comment or two about the ones who have been most impactful to me.

Sinclair Ferguson-Now a preacher, writer, and theologian at large. He has an encyclopedic knowledge. His sermons are well thought out. He makes you want to know Christ like he does. He preached the best sermon on heaven out of Revelation 5 I have ever heard as he took 5,000 of us at a Ligonier conference up to heaven for an hour. Literally, no one could move or speak for several minutes after he finished. 

Alistair Begg-Pastor of Parkside Church, Cleveland, Ohio. Yes, I started with two Scotsman. He has a way of drawing you in with him, and he is the most winsome and most pointed at the same time. Love how he quotes hymns in his sermons.

Ligon Duncan-Chancellor of Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson, Mississippi. He can pull more out of an Old Testament passage than anyone I have ever heard, and always uses it to point to Christ.

Bailey Smith-Southern Baptist pastor and evangelist (at home with Jesus). The best Evangelist I have ever heard. I saw people sweating with conviction when he preached.

Ed Robb Jr-Methodist pastor and evangelist (at home with Jesus). Riveting and powerful evangelist of the old Methodist type. When I heard him preach when I was 16, I could not understand why I was under conviction as I thought I was already a Christian.

Art Azurdia-Yes, I know he fell and fell hard (a warning lesson for every preacher), but was a wonderful wordsmith with brilliant illustrations.

John Bisango-Former pastor of FBC Houston (at home with Jesus). He had a great preaching voice and I always sensed the unction of the Spirit when he preached.

Tom Pennington-Pastor of Countryside Bible Church, Southlake, Texas. Very very solid preacher. You always come away from one of his sermons with something that makes you a better Christian. His sermons stay with you.

Conrad Mbewe-Pastor of Kabwata Baptist Church, Lusaka, Zambia. You don't want to miss a word he says when he preaches. Practical, forthright, thoughtful, and engaging. He has been called the Spurgeon of Africa, but I would call him the John MacArthur of Africa because of his years of faithful preaching and devotion to the church. He has developed an international influence.

John MacArthur-Pastor of Grace Community Church, Sun Valley California. John is the dean of expository preaching. His insights are remarkable and rich. His preaching style has changed over the last few years, but he still brings rich treasures out of the storehouse of God's word. His sermon on Slave is one of the best I have ever heard.

Steve Lawson-One Passion Ministries. The preacher's preacher, and I would say the total package when it comes to expository preaching. What makes Steve a great preacher is not the fact that he went to Texas Tech University (Guns Up and Wreck'em), but that he has such a passion for the word of God and a zeal for the Lord that explode out of his sermons.

R C Sproul-The founder of Ligonier Ministries (at home with Jesus). His zeal for the person of God was inspiring.  His logic, humor, and warmth always came across like a father talking to his children.

Philip Venables-Pastor of Feltham Evangelical Church, London, England. Philip is easily the most unknown of this group. He and I preached during a four day conference last September in India. His passion for and fixation on the exaltation of Christ in his sermons were beyond anyone I have ever heard. I was greatly inspired listening to him. He truly makes much of Christ.








No comments: