Wednesday, September 06, 2017

The Pastoral Desire

The following is an excerpt I ran across from the book Pastoral Ministry, written by members of the Master's Seminary.

"Paul introduced the qualification of the pastor by extolling the ambitions to pursue the office and the function of an elder.  In fact, he spoke of pursuing that office with intense desire (I Tim. 3:1 epithumeo).  It is true that ambition, when selfishly motivated, is dangerous.  At this time restraint and caution should prevail.  However, ambition not motivated by eagerness for the prestige of power but rather by a passion to serve the Master is right.  Desire for positional prestige corrupts because it originates from impure motives (see Jer. 45:5). Yet desire for service purifies, because it seeks only the service of the one who has been called to service (Rom. 12:1; Mark 10:42-44). The true spiritual leader is concerned infinitely more with the service he can render God and his fellowmen..."


2 comments:

Colin said...

This is excellent, Morris.
I bought the ebook version a few months back, and now have this written in the cover of my Bible as a reminder while I pursue the pastorate myself.

Morris Brooks said...

Part of the calling is the accompanying passion to serve...to serve the Lord by serving His people. To me this is what separates the "hireling" from the true shepherd.