Jeremiah 9:23-24--Thus says the Lord, "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the Lord.
So, what is your boast? What is the thing you take pride in, glory in, or hang your hat on?
No matter the loftiness or lowliness of our earthly state our boast is to be that we understand (to have insight into and have comprehension of) and know (to percieve, to see, to know by experience) God Himself. This implies a personal knowing and experiencing that would attest to the fact that God delights (takes pleasure) in exercising (accomplishing) lovingkindness (deeds of mercy/love), justice (execution of what is proper and fitting), and righteousness (doing what is right by His standard) on earth.
Why is it important for us to know and understand God this well?
1. It puts us in our proper place (not in a negative sense). Psalm 100:3; 46:10
Being in the proper place gives us the proper perspective on ourselves, others, and God.
Isaiah 40:18-31, Proverbs 1:7
2. Knowing is paramount to believing. Isaiah 43:10, I John 4:16
With believing comes trusting. Psalm 55:22; 56:11
3. It gives us confidence in Him, not self-confidence, but God-confidence.
Deuteronomy 4:35, 39; 7:9-10, John 15:4-5, Philippians 4:13
4. It puts life into perspective. The more we know and understand Him, the more we see Him
and His hand in our life. Deuteronomy 8:5, Hebrews 12:10, Jeremiah 10:23
5. It is the key to eternal life. John 17:3, II Peter 2:20
6. It is the key to spiritual growth. II Peter 1:2-3; 3:18
7. It enlarges our life. It takes us to a bigger and deeper place, spiritually.
Ephesians 1:16-19; 3:14-19, Psalm 119:32
Jeremiah 33:3--Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know. (Which, I believe, are the things of God Himself)